Leslie Pelch, VCGI
Webinars (all free)
Scheduled (click here for details and to register):
- Free Online Mapping with ArcGIS Online: March 6, 2012, 10:30 AM
- E911 PMF Map and Website Overview: March 13, 2012, 10:30AM
Ignite Spatial Vermont: Student Showcase
The event will be held in the evening on April 17, 2012 at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Montpelier, VT; Cash bar and appetizers will be provided. The “Ignite” format provides speakers the opportunity and the challenge to tell their spatial story in only 5 minutes! The quick pace means that participants can learn about a multitude of projects and then network and follow up on topics that caught their interest. In 2012, we invite students of Vermont’s colleges and universities to submit abstracts to participate in this exciting event along with professionals from a wide range of private, non-profit, and public organizations that use GIS.
Visit the web page to learn more about this event, and to submit a lightning presentation abstract or register to attend (for free!): http://www.vcgi.org/commres/?page=./events/ignite/default_content.cfm
VT College and University Student Map Contest
VCGI and a coalition of academic institutions in VT are pleased to present the first VT Map Contest (in a number of years, anyway). Any and all digital maps (dynamic or static) can be submitted! The only limitations are that the map must be viewable by the general public via a web link (URL – VCGI can provide a place to post the map if it is a PDF or image file) without the need to pay for special software, and the author(s) of the map need to be current full or part-time students at a VT institution of higher learning. Deadline for submission is April 1! Winner will be announced at April 17 Ignite event (see above).
Visit the map contest web page for more information and instructions on how to submit your map! http://www.vcgi.org/commres/?page=./map_contest/default_content.cfm
Introduction to ArcGIS 10 Training in Randolph, June 11-13
This 3-day training is still being planned, but the location and dates are set! Keep an eye on the front page of VCGI’s web site for details and registration link. The training will be conducted by UNH Extension in partnership with VCGI and the fee will be $350 (nonprofit, school, public enployees) or $495 (private sector).
NEARC Spring Conference – call for papers
The NEARC Spring Conference will take place Tuesday, May 22 at the Smith College Campus Center in Northampton, MA. Submit your “presentation proposal” by March 23! See the schedule of the day and link to the submission form here: http://www.northeastarc.org/html/springnearc.shtml
There are many different ways that you can participate in this fun and dynamic event: Extended Talk (45-60 Mins.), Panel (45-60 Mins.), Standard Talk (20-30 Mins.), Workshop (60 Mins.), Lightning Talk (5 Mins.), Video Poster, Poster.
Other Features of the NEARC Spring Conference include Lightning Karaoke, the Pub Social and more!
BNDHASH Updated! – Steve Sharp ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
BNDHASH has been updated and is available for download here.
Significant Boundary Changes – Summary (2011A)
1) Saint George / Shelburne Town line. Adjusted to match Survey “Town Line Agreement between Towns of: Shelburne & St. George Chittenden County State of Vermont” conducted by a licensed land surveyor employed by Civil Engineering Associates, Inc. and dated March 9, 2011. Boundary codified by VT Legislature in 2011 H. 452 (ACT 0015). Recieved copy of survey boundary in shapefile format from CCRPC.
2) Braintree / Rochester town line. Adjusted based on latest matching Braintree/Rochester parcel data provided by TRORC.
3) MA / VT boundary. Adjusted MA / VT boundary based on survey point data provided by MassGIS http://www.mass.gov/mgis/townssurvey.htm which was derived from 68-volume MA “Harbor and Lands Commission Town Boundary Atlas”.
Minor Updates (2011A)
1) Tweaked Norwich/Harford boundary based on the latest parcel data to correct a problem.
2) Updated LEPC boundaries based on new information.
3) Adjusted boundaries for several villages to match 2011 boundary information provided by VTrans from their HMS system.
VTrans County/Town Maps Updated, Sara Moulton, GISP
An updated set of the County-Town Map Series has been posted online and is available from the Mapping Unit Publications web page
The major change is the note in the legend identifying that Minor Collectors are not Federal Aid eligible. Other changes included small cartographic changes plus the road centerline data that has been updated since the previous map set was produced in September-October 2010.
Links to the Past
Webinars Recorded and Posted (click here to access):
- Web Mapping Made Easy I – Leslie Pelch, VCGI, February 2, 2012
- Linking Parcel Maps/Data and Grand List Data – Pete Fellows, Two Rivers Ottauquechee Regional Commission, January 12, 2012
ESRI Seminar Materials re: ArcGIS Online
Municipal and Irene Mapping Conference Presentations Posted
Click here to go to the Event Archive where all conference presentations are posted (as they come in, check back if they one you want isn’t posted yet!)
From Jonathan Frishtick:
- From GPS TrackLog:”The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) wrote the FCC yesterday (PDF) saying they had concluded “that LightSquared’s proposed mobile broadband network will impact GPS services and that there is no practical way to mitigate the potential interference at this time.” Shortly thereafter, the FCC announced that they would “(1) vacate the Conditional Waiver Order, and (2) suspend indefinitely LightSquared’s Ancillary Terrestrial Component authority to an extent consistent with the NTIA letter.” http://gpstracklog.com/2012/02/fcc-kills-lightsquared.html