January 23, 2017
The VT Center for Geographic Information (VCGI) is pleased to release a new interactive map viewer that leverages the latest HTML5 capabilities and GIS data. Here are some key features of the new Map Viewer.
- Supported on all modern web browsers on desktop computers, tablets and phones. No plugins!
- Save your map via “Save” button (NOTE: must sign-in to ArcGIS Online account first – available for free).
- Lidar terrain / hillshade data (~50% of the state).
- Access to VCGI Open Data via a Layer Catalog
- Download the data layers from the Table of Contents (refer to FAQ for details).
- Determine when aerial photos were taken (refer to FAQ for details)
- Change how layers are symbolized so they look the way you want.
- Export/Print maps to many different formats.
- Get a street view (Google Street View function).
Check it out here: http://maps.vermont.gov/vcgi/html5viewer/?viewer=vtmapviewer
We hope you enjoy the new VT Interactive Map Viewer! Please direct questions, comments, and suggestions to ACCD.VCGIInfo@vermont.gov.
P.S. The old Microsoft Silverlight Map Viewer will be supported until 3/1/2017 per VCGI’s Life Cycle Policy.
January 4, 2017
The VT Center for Geographic Information (VCGI) is pleased to announce the release of a new Vermont Open Geodata Portal (geodata.vermont.gov). VCGI, in close collaboration with Vermont’s Enterprise Geospatial Consortium (EGC), has built a website (Portal) that helps constituents find, explore, and access a wealth of geospatial resources. The Portal provides access to geodata, web services, and applications originating from many sources (publishers) including numerous State agencies (e.g. VT Agency of Natural Resources, VT Agency of Transportation, VT Agency of Human Services, VT E911).
- Download formats – Vector datasets are available in multiple download formats (shapefile, excel, and csv).
- Smart search – All entries are fully indexed with tags and keywords making it easier to find what you’re looking for.
- Data visualization – Vector datasets can be visualized using the built-in map viewer. Users can even filter the data before they download it!
- Big Data download tools – The Portal includes special tools for “big” datasets such as imagery and lidar. These include the Tiled Data Download Tool and Clip & Zip Tool.
- Modern web platform – The Portal leverages modern web technology supported by Esri (Environmental System Research Institute, Inc.), providing the State with an upgrade path for the future.
VCGI would like to thank our State Agency partners for their ongoing dedication to improving access to Vermont’s geospatial resources!