February 16, 2016
State-Wide FEMA DFIRM Data Posted
A state-wide FEMA DFIRM data set (where DFIRM is available – see map) has been posted in Vermont’s Open GeoData Portal: http://vcgi.vermont.gov/opendata. This new data posting replaces the individual county-based and town-based DFIRM data sets that were previously posted to the portal. This new data set is catalogued in the portal with the database name EmergencyFlood_DFIRM; It can be found by searching with the keyword “DFIRM”.
The DFIRM data set is available through the portal as a .zip package that contains shapefiles, tables, metadata files, and a .lyr file.
VCGI appreciates VT Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) staff for keeping VCGI abreast of the status of DFIRM data and providing symbology that is incorporated into the .lyr file.
NOTE: New flood maps in Bennington County just became effective on 12/2/2015.
NOTE: See the Flood Ready Vermont web site at http://floodready.vermont.gov/ for information on flood readiness.
All VT Imagery Service Now Includes 2015!
VCGI’s full suite of imagery services have been updated with the latest 2015 VT ortho imagery (covering southern VT).
2015 Orthos have been integrated into the following services
- All “Best of” services + caches (color, color infrared, and black & white) have been updated
- All statewide “ortho only” services (color, color infrared, and black & white) have been updated
- Individual cached 2015 ortho services have been created (SP + WM)
- The “All VT Imagery and Indexes” service (version 3) has been updated to include 2015 imagery + indexes (including tie-cut lines).
NOTE: These services also take advantage of stable “layer ids” for those hackers out there, so you can count on them staying the same when you write your code.
Additional details are available here:
December 17, 2015
Leslie Pelch, VCGI
Vermont’s Orthophoto Collection RFP Question period has passed and the questions and their answers have been posted! Check them out, along with relevant suporting documents, here: http://vcgi.vermont.gov/rfps
December 9, 2015
Leslie Pelch, VCGI
1. Updated “About VCGI” Page Includes State GIS Report (FY 2015) and Interim Strategic Plan: http://vcgi.vermont.gov/about_us
2. 2015 Orthos Available as a Product
For your convenience…
You can now purchase all of the imagery collected during the 2015 Orthophoto collection on an external drive:
Southern VT – Windham and Bennington Counties
.5 meter pixel, 4-band color and black and white
You can still download individual images here: http://vcgi.vermont.gov/warehouse/imagery, and the imagery will be available as a service and via custom download soon (all for free), but if having all of the imagery mailed to you on an external drive would make your life/work easier…click here to go to the products page to order the drive for only $100: http://vcgi.vermont.gov/warehouse/products
December 3, 2015
From Noah Ahles at the UVM Spatial Analysis Lab
Imagery of Kathmandu, Nepal provided by Bing
The last week in October was exceptionally busy for members of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at UVM. On October 25th the Spatial Analysis Lab hosted a mapathon to create detailed digital maps in Nepal in response to a massive landslide that blocked the Kali Gandaki River. Coincidentally, hurricane Patricia had just hit Mexico’s western coast and we were able to delegate a team of volunteers from Tri Delta to work in Puerto Vallarta. Thankfully, Mexico was well prepared and there was a minimal loss of life, although there was severe damage to infrastructure as a result of flooding and winds. Despite breaking records for highest sustained wind speeds globally and barometric pressure in the Western Hemisphere, Patricia quickly dissipated once it made landfall after hitting a steep gradient of elevation into a mountainous region.
Read more here: http://letters-sal.blogspot.com/2015/12/humanitarian-openstreetmap-team-nepal.html
December 2, 2015
Lots of news re: orthophotos and LiDAR in Vermont!
- Vermont Orthophoto Request for Proposals: Vintage 4 – VCGI is soliciting competitive sealed, fixed price proposals for a new digital orthophotographic base from qualified bidders. The RFP provides details on what is required to submit a Proposal in response to this RFP, how VCGI will evaluate the Proposals, and what will be required of the Contractor in performing the Work. More info and links here:http://vcgi.vermont.gov/rfps
- Two major LiDAR collection projects were completed during our lovely dry October and November! The maps above show the large swath of central/western VT that were finally completed (it took a few years!) and the majority of Windham County that was also collected. It will still be quite some time before this data is available for release – at least 6-9 months.
- The 2015 orthos (covering Bennington and Windham Counties) were released recently for download, and will be reflected in imagery services and online map viewers within the next few months. http://vcgi.vermont.gov/warehouse/imagery
September 17, 2015
Leslie Pelch, VCGI
New and updated parcel data has been added to the VCGI Open Geodata Portal!
The image above shows the towns for whom we have and distribute data. Visit the data page and do a keyword search on parcels to check out the full index map or download the towns of your choice: http://vcgi.vermont.gov/opendata
VT Tech is offering an Intro to ArcGIS course on different dates at different campuses!
With this three day training participants will learn how to use ESRI’s ArcGIS 10.0 software to explore and display geospatial data, to create new geospatial data and include it in their map projects, to perform geospatial analyses, to find and acquire free and public GIS data, and to compose basic maps appropriate for printing or publishing. Participants will develop a mapping question or project that they will explore and build on throughout the course.
Register here: http://greentrainings.vtc.edu/gis-trainings.htm
- Event Date: Friday, October 16, 2015: 8:30 am to Sunday, October 18, 2015: 5:00 pm
- Location: Randolph Center Campus
- Event Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2015: 8:30 am to Friday, October 23, 2015: 5:00 pm
- Location: Williston Campus
May 26, 2015
Leslie Pelch, VCGI
Fall NEARC Conference (Burilngton, VT, Nov. 8-11) – Call for Submissions Open, deadline is June 19!
VT Geospatial Forum, June 2, Montpelier, VT
Intro to GIS/GPS Summer Training, two locations in July, registration is open!